Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Cherry Tomato and Burrata Bruschetta


Before tomato season is a thing of the past,  I hope you can try this simple and delightful appetizer.  It is a perfect way to use all of those cherry tomatoes growing like crazy in your garden. Right now, my cherry tomatoes are ripening so quickly that we can barely eat them all.  Sweet Million and Sun Sugar have been very prolific varieties for me here in SE Wisconsin.  Don't worry if you only have regular tomatoes either!  Just cut them into small pieces and let the seeds and juice drain before using.


There are endless versions of bruschetta with tomatoes on the internet but this recipe (or more of a technique) was passed along to me by a good friend and we have enjoyed it several times in the past few weeks. This is not original or unique - just delicious!


All you need is some really good, ripe tomatoes, a sliced and toasted baguette and a ball of burrata cheese, which is a type of soft cheese made with mozzarella and cream.  It's so good! My grocery store sells the BelGioioso brand.

If you don't grow tomatoes yourself, perhaps you can find some good, locally grown tomatoes at the farmers' market nearby.  Slice the tomatoes into small pieces and squeeze out as much of the juice as you can.  Add a little aged balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and toss.


Let your guests help themselves and add as much cheese and tomatoes as they like! Our whole family loves it - even the young grandsons, although their favorite part is the baguette toasts and cheese ;)


Bon appetit!

Cherry Tomato Bruschetta with Burrata

Printable Recipe

Makes about 18-20 Bruschetta, depending on how large a baguette you are using.  Adjust the amount of tomatoes accordingly.

1 large French Baguette (I like Costco's baguettes)
About 2 pints of cherry (or 2-3 large) tomatoes
1 ball of Burrata cheese
Fresh basil leaves
Aged Balsamic
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the oven broiler to low (or set oven to 375).  Slice the baguette diagonally into between 1/4 and 1/2 inch pieces.  Arrange on a baking sheet. Brush slices on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with finely grown pepper on one side. Toast in the oven for about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on your oven.  Watch carefully, so they don't burn, especially if you are using the broiler.  Allow to cool.  The baguette toasts can be made ahead.

Slice tomatoes into small pieces and remove as much of the seeds and juice as you can. A little juice and seeds left is fine. Place them into a small bowl and drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper to taste.  Add some sliced basil before serving.  

On a serving platter, arrange the baguette slices, around the outside, and place the tomatoes and Burrata cheese in the center. Allow your guests to serve themselves.

35 comments:

  1. what a delicious italian meal !Have a nice week my dear, a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italy has given us so many wonderful dishes! Thank you, Chiara, and warm hugs from Wisconsin 😘

      Delete
  2. looks absolutely wonderful ! I love brushetta!! lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, let me say that your basket of tomatoes photo is so inviting and a beauty of a photo. I could eat burrata any day of the week, but with all these good tomatoes, it makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. It's been a great tomato season here. The burrata makes it extra special!

      Delete
  4. Looks so good Susan! It's so simple but such wonderful ingredients - I would serve this over and over. I know it would be a universal hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fresh-tasting with garden tomatoes! Thank you, Chris :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful presentations. It sounds so good I must make this for my family. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Alma! I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does :)

      Delete
  6. wow I am in love with these beautiful tomatoes from your garden, Susan. The bruschetta look simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with growing them too :) You will probably here a loud whimper when I pick the last one - LOL. Thank you, Angie!

      Delete
  7. These are such beautiful tomatoes! I love bruschettas not only before meal but on their own as light dinner! Beautiful Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katerina! I agree on the light dinner too - so fresh and good!

      Delete
  8. Looks so good Susan and I love Burrata! Our tomatoes are lovely, and I have several to use this week. I think this will be on our Friday night menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday night dinner to you, Debbie ♥ and Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Looks delicious Susan and your photos are beautiful !! Have a great week! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fo in season fresh and good and colorful.
    I love bruschetta:) And with garden tomoatoes?
    Unbeatable..such pretty pics too Susan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Monique ♥ Sad to think it's almost at an end. Getting our share while we can :)

      Delete
  11. Those tomatoes are the most gorgeous ever!! And burrata... Buratta is always gorgeous :) Happy end of summer to you :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. Isn't buratta just amazing?!! In NYC we ordered a similar appetizer, but it came with stracciatella, which I'd never had before. It's the INSIDE of buratta!!! Can you imagine? Or maybe you already know about it, but I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing and I did not know about stracciatella, so thanks for the info, Mimi. Would love to try that version - Yum!

      Delete
  13. I could make a meal out of this wonderful appetizer Susan. I have not experimented enough with Burrata cheese but you have convinced me I must buy some soon. What a wonderful way to use up the end of summer tomatoes. Your basket of vegetables is absolutely gorgeous. You have a wonderful green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So could I, Tricia! I think you would love it, especially served like this. I'm a convert :) Thank you !

      Delete
  14. Beautiful tomatoes, Susan! And your bruschetta looks delicious! Burrata cheese is new to me so I will be looking for it. Thanks for the recipe. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love Burrata, Pam! It's creamy and delicious.

      Delete
  15. Oh Susan, this is such pretty food! I've made a similar tomato bruschetta before, but served it with a ricotta mixture. I've never tried Burrata cheese and I will have to buy some and try it, I'm sure it's delicious! Love your lovely, bright pictures in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcelle! As I said to Pam above, I think you will love Burrata.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful late summer way to enjoy tomatoes. Sorry to say my tomatoes are long gone (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful and I am so going to miss homegrown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MERAVIGLIOSA questa preparazione

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!